Ayurvedic Immunity booster- Probably, one of the most searched topic these days. Out of fear to save ourselves from corona, each one of us wants to safeguard ourself using ayurvedic immunity medicine.
The outcome of the relation between corona virus and health is two-sided:
1. Sadly, the reason had to be corona virus for the people to become health-conscious.
2. A positive side is- Although the reason is corona, at least people are now aware of their duty towards their own bodies.
With the aim to stay away from corona, there are 2 things which we can do from our side:
1. One is social distancing and covering up our exposed body parts- everyone already knows enough of this and I will not go into its details.
2. The second is our topic of the day- Boosting our immunity so that the corona virus will find it difficult to attack our system.
To fulfill the second, people are going to-and-fro and eating all kinds of ayurvedic immunity medicine and other things which gets viral on social media.
But are we really going in the right direction?
To build a good immunity, it is important that first of all you be in good health.
Ayurvedic treatment for immunity-
Immunity in Ayurveda is termed as “Vyadhi-kshamatva”, i.e. the ability of the body to fight a disease. We need to buckle up our shoes and prepare our body to fight against it if we ever need to. This means you have to keep your body in its fittest form.
Immunity can be built up through the following 3 measures:
1. Correction of the incorrect habits,
2. Following the Dinacharya and Ritucharya,
3. Taking the Rasayan Aushadhis (Ayurvedic immunity booster)
Imagine you are in a war scene; you are equipped with all kinds of sharpest weapons. However, you do not know how to use them. How are you going to fight the war even if you are fully equipped?
Here, COVID-19 is your war scenario. Immunity boosters are your weapons. Now, you have to shape your body to prepare itself in this war. This is why I insist on the first two measures of our immunity boosting techniques. They will keep your doshas in place and your body will get ready. The Ayurvedic medicine for immunity and strength will work for you when you work for yourself.
I know you all are here just to know the “names” of Ayurvedic immunity booster, so that you can just grab it and have it. But before going to that, I will list down 5 corrections which I assume you have been doing incorrectly and which are causing harm to your body-
1. Milk– Milk and anything which is salty, sour and spicy are opposite combinations and convert it into curd.
Your mother will never let milk get mixed up with salt, or spice in the kitchen, we need to follow the same within our body. It takes at least 2-2.5 hours to digest the last drop of milk inside our body.
Hence, do not have anything before and after 2.5 hours of drinking milk.
Some herbal powders when added to milk, do not curdle. They in fact heal us and are good to build up immunity. Example – the famous Golden Milk (Turmeric + Milk).
2. Water– Many people drink glasses of water in the morning. Stop drinking water even when you are not thirsty. We have already told everything in our Post of Water.
3. Honey with any other hot thing is an opposite combination. You can have honey OR honey + water to reduce the Kapha dosha that would have increased due to lack of any activity during this lockdown. Just don’t combine it with hot water or heat it.
4. Bath– First have a bath and then have breakfast. Bathing after eating is unhealthy. Though it is summers, prefer not to bath with completely cold water. Let the water be slightly warm.
5. Sleep– Sleeping after eating, sleeping during the day increases the Kapha dosha terribly! This is the biggest problem-creator during lockdown.
When Kapha dosha deteriorates or increases, we land up in lethargy, weight-gain, Diabetes (Prameha in Ayurveda), decreased digestive fire and so on.
Immunity booster Ayurvedic Medicine-
1. Chyawanprash –
An extremely famous gift of Ayurveda- Chyawanprash, a Rasayan; is one of the most consumed immunity booster Ayurvedic medicine.
The right way to have Chyawanprash is in the morning after bath on an empty stomach. Chyawanprash should be consumed alone or you can have a sip of water later to clear your palate.
Charak, the preacher of Ayurveda is the one who gave Chyawanprash to the world, he DID NOT recommend to have it with milk. So, as simple as that- do not consume milk with Chyawanprash (as what some people popularly do).
2. Golden Milk-
Half teaspoon of Turmeric + 150 ml of milk. This is one of the immunity boosting foods Ayurveda ministry has recommended.
Turmeric is light, dry and decreases the Kapha dosha. Milk alone increases the Kapha dosha. Therefore, when Turmeric is added to Milk, it becomes a balanced combination. (Just keep in mind the 1st point which I mentioned about milk in Corrections).
3. AYUSH Kwath-
The Ministry of AYUSH has recommended a herbal decoction made up of immunity booster Ayurvedic herbs. It consists of Tulsi (Basil), Dalchini (Cinnamon), Kalimarich (Black pepper), Shunthi (Dry Ginger), Munakka (Raisins).
This herbal decoction will digest the unfavorable doshas in your system. The above mentioned ayurvedic herbs for immune system is also a remedy if you have cough, sore throat and runny nose.
Keeping in mind that some may not have access to all the ingredients of this Ayurvedic immunity medicine and to make your lives easier, Shree Dhootpapeshwar Limited has come up with Ayurvedic immunity booster tablets called AYUSH tablets.
Kamdhenu Laboratories have come up with the herbal powder of the same.
4. Dhoopan Karma (Fumigation)-
This disinfects the air and cleanses our airways. Monsoon will approach India soon and dampen the walls of our houses. These act as the breeding places for germs which is one reason why people frequently fall sick in rainy reason. Fumigation helps to disinfect the damp walls.
Fumigating with a mixture of the following immunity booster Ayurvedic herbs (few or all according to availability) proves healthy and has anti-microbial action-
• Vacha (Vekhand/sweet flag),
• Sarshap (Mustard seeds),
5. Immunity boosting foods-
For immunity boosting foods Ayurveda insists on eating at the right time. The following food-related advice is a part of immunity medicine in Ayurveda.
• Eat fruits native to your soil. Oranges, Bananas, Chiku, Pomegranate, Mangoes are fruits native to Indians and hence, they should prefer them over Dragon fruit, Pears etc. which are native to other countries.
• Ghee- have half a spoon of ghee in meals.
• Have Takra (Butter milk)- 1 part curd + 4 parts water. Churned thoroughly.
• Eat Munakka (Raisins). They should be soaked in water for 15 minutes, then washed thoroughly. Strain them and eat them. Chewing them for long time is expected here.
6. Ayurvedic medicine for child immunity-
All the guidelines related to immunity booster Ayurvedic medicine told above are also applicable to children. Additionally, they can be given a herbal formulation of Balchaturbhadra churna – half spoon with honey in the morning.
Dinacharya and Ritucharya:
Ayurveda has advised a daily regimen to be followed called Dinacharya. It has also told extensively on seasonal regimen called Ritucharya. These are vast topics which will be covered in the subsequent posts.
We, people, have always taken up the easier, convenient things and left out the difficult ones. Like in case of Yoga, we know only Aasanas (Postures) and Pranayam (meditation). But Yoga is an 8-fold science, we took up only 2 as per our convenience.
A comprehensive approach of all the above mentioned Ayurvedic medicine for immunity and strength is going to help us face, not only Corona but will also help us to stand strong against any disorder.